Home Visiting & Self Study for Parents and Teachers
The Incredible Years® offers a Home Visiting Coach protocol for Baby, Toddler, Preschool, and School Age Basic Parent Programs. The Home Visiting Coach model is intended to be used in conjunction with the group-based model. There is also a Self Study model for teachers to do as a companion to the full Teacher Classroom Management Program.
Home Visiting Coach Model for Parent Programs
We have developed a supplemental Home Coaching model for the Baby, Toddler, Preschool, and School-Age Basic Parent group programs.
We highly encourage attending an approved training prior to implementing the Home Visiting Coach protocol. Approved training consists of a 1-2 day workshop offered by a certified mentor or trainer. Only those candidates who have successfully completed the approved IY Coach training qualify to submit a certification application *Trainees must have attended the Basic Parent Group Leader training first, and ideally have some experience running groups.
This one-on-one home visit based parent-coach model can be used along side the group-based program as follows:
- To begin a parent’s learning if there is an extended delay before the next scheduled IY parent group begins.
- To give parents a taste of the program in order to recruit them into the IY parent group.
- To provide make-up sessions for parents who have missed group sessions due to illness or work schedules.
- To enhance the IY parent group learning for high-risk families and/or child welfare referred families, and to provide additional vignettes and practices at home.
- To deliver the entire parenting curriculum in the home.
The home visiting coach model includes 3 parent workbooks for the baby program as well as the toddler program, 4 parent workbooks for the preschool program, and 5 parent workbooks for the school age series. These workbooks help parents track goals for each session, brainstorm decisions, values exercises, reading and practices and summarize key points. A coach leader guide is also included with protocols for 10 topic areas.
Order materials now!
Home Visiting Coach Model – ResearchRead the book chapter by Carolyn Webster-Stratton: Benefits of Using the Incredible Years Home Coaching Parent Programs: Assuring Success
Read our blog post about the research conducted on the home visiting model!
For more information, you can also check out the results from a 5 year RCT where parents received in home sessions – Click this link for RCT results
Read the full article by clicking here!
Delivering the Home Coaching Program
Group leaders who have received training in the 3-day BASIC parenting program and had experience delivering this group-based program can use this home coaching model. It is highly recommended that group leaders take the Incredible Years supplemental 1-day Home Coaching training and have on-going consultation from an authorized IY mentor if they are planning to use the home coaching model.
Experts in Action: Sample Home Visit Coaching
This 2 DVD set shows how the Home Visit Coaching program is delivered in the home. The first DVD provides examples of the first home visit which includes how to explain the program to a parent, goal setting, mediating video vignettes with children being present, setting up practices sessions and introducing a new parent topic.
The second DVD shows a coach covering the persistence coaching topic by showing vignettes, involving children, and setting up practices based on the parent’s goals.
Self Study Model for Teacher Classroom Management Program
A set of 7 Self-Administered workbooks for the Incredible Years® Teachers Classroom Management Series.
For the Teacher Classroom Management Series, we have developed a set of self-administered teacher workbooks to go with each of the DVD topics. While it is highly recommended that teachers attend the authorized Incredible Years® 6-day teacher workshop with trained group leaders (because of the collaborative learning, shared insights and emotional support provided by the teacher groups), there are times when this self-learning model can be beneficial. For example, this learning approach can be offered as a study option for use by teachers who do not have access to scheduled teacher workshops, or for make-up sessions if they miss one of the 6 workshop days. Teachers may also use this program for more in depth study of vignettes not shown during the workshop sessions. This program can be put in school libraries for teachers’ self-reflective learning completed either individually or ideally with teacher colleagues.
Tips for successful self-study include:
- Having a private place free of distractions and interruptions
- Setting aside a minimum of 45 minutes to view the workbooks, one at a time (each book may take multiple sessions to finish viewing)
- When possible, do this self-learning with a teacher “buddy” to share ideas and support
- View video vignettes and pause to read questions in workbooks and discuss ideas
Use teacher handouts, brainstorms and buzzes to keep track of teacher thoughts, ideas and action plans
- Read handouts at end of each program and post blackboard notes to remind yourself of key points
- Do the suggested classroom activities whenever possible to reinforce concepts learned
- Plan time for reading the Incredible Teachers: Nurturing Children’s Social, Emotional, and Academic Competence book
- Set up personal goals after completing each book and complete the self-reflection inventory
- If you are doing this with a teacher coach, share your successes and seek consultation and support as needed.