Parent Home Visit Coaching Model
The Incredible Years® offers a Home Visiting Coach protocol for our Baby, Toddler, Preschool Basic, and School Age Basic Parenting Programs.
Parent Home Visit Coaching Model and Manuals
(Preschool and School-Age Home Coaching Manuals shown)
This one-on-one home parent-coach model can be used along side the group-based program as follows:
- to begin a parent’s learning if there is an extended delay before the next scheduled IY parent group.
- to give parents a taste of the program in order to recruit them into the IY parent group.
- to provide make up sessions for parents who have missed group sessions due to illness or work schedules.
- to enhance the IY parent group learning for high-risk families and/or child welfare referred families, and to provide additional vignettes and practices at home.
- to deliver the entire parenting curriculum in the home.
The home coach model includes 3 coaching manuals for the Baby program, 3 coaching manuals for the Toddler program, 4 coaching manuals for the Preschool program, and 5 coaching manuals for the School Age program. These manuals help the leader and parents track goals for each session, brainstorm decisions, values exercises, reading and practices and key points.
Delivering the Home Coaching Program
Group leaders who have received training in the 3-day BASIC parenting program and had experience delivering this group-based program can use this home coaching model. It is highly recommended that group leaders take the Incredible Years supplemental 1-day training and have on-going consultation from an authorized IY mentor if they are planning to use the home coaching model.
Experts in Action: Sample Home Visit Coaching
This 2 DVD set shows how the Home Visit Coaching program is delivered in the home. The first DVD provides examples of the first home visit which includes how to explain the program to a parent, goal setting, mediating video vignettes with children being present, setting up practices sessions and introducing a new topic.
The second DVD shows a coach covering the persistence coaching topic by showing vignettes, involving children, and setting up practices based on the parent’s goals.