Preschool Basic Program
For parents with children ages 3-6 years.
The Preschool Basic parenting program strengthens parent-child interactions and attachment, reducing harsh discipline and fostering parents’ ability to promote children’s social, emotional, and language development. Parents also learn how to build school readiness skills and are encouraged to partner with teachers and day care professionals so they can promote children’s emotional regulation and social skills. In the parenting groups, trained Incredible Years® facilitators use video clips of real-life situational vignettes to support the training and trigger parenting group discussions, problem solving, and practice exercises.
- Program 1 – Strengthening Children’s Social Skills, Emotional Regulation and School Readiness Skills
- Program 2 – Using Praise and Incentives to Encourage Cooperative Behavior
- Program 3 – Positive Discipline – Rules, Routines and Effective Limit Setting
- Program 4 – Positive Discipline – Handling Misbehavior
For more details, please see the program Content & Objectives:
View the Parenting Pyramid® Poster (click image below)
Spanish Version Dutch Version Norwegian Version
Preschool Home Visit Coaching – Coaches and Parents Manual – This one-on-one parent-coach model is an option for use if parents cannot attend parent groups because of schedule conflicts, or if a group program is not available in the time needed to start an intervention with a family.
- Program Video Vignettes (9 total hours) shown in 18-20 weekly 2-hour group sessions. Video vignettes are available in 3 formats: 9 DVD set -or- 1 USB drive -or- NEW 1-year streaming subscription (online streaming English-only)
- Comprehensive leader manual (over 800 pages of “how to” tips, leader questions for discussion, parent home activities, and commentary)
- Book: The Incredible Years: A Troubleshooting Guide for Parents of Children Aged 3-8 Years (3rd Edition, by Carolyn Webster-Stratton)
- Book: Collaborating with Parents to Reduce Children’s Behavior Problems: A Book for Therapists Using the Incredible Years Programs (by Carolyn Webster-Stratton)
- Wally’s Detective Books for Solving Problems (set of 4 books)
- Piggy Bank Refrigerator Magnet
- Parenting Pyramid® Poster (illustrates how the program first builds a positive foundation of relationship skills before discipline strategies)
*This program is also available in a Spanish/English combo package – contact us for details.
Supplemental materials support and enhance the programs and may be purchased separately:
- Experts in Action: Parent Groups Program
- Experts in Action: Cross-Cultural Parent Groups Program
- Experts in Action: Parent Home Coach Sample
- Experts in Action: Parent Program Facilitator Training
- Home Coach Self-Administered Manuals for Preschool Basic
- Incredible Parents Conversation Card Game
- Incredible Years® Stickers
- Build Up Your Bank Account Piggy Bank Poster
- Invest Positive Time Pig Timer
- Tool Kit Poster
Please see basic cost information provided below. This is meant to give a general overview of upfront and ongoing costs. Please don’t hesitate to contact us for more particular questions regarding program & book discounts, training costs, etc.
Up Front Costs
Preschool Basic Program: $1,755.00 (Purchase)
Group Leader Training: See Workshop Information.
Books for parents
The Incredible Years: A Troubleshooting Guide for Parents of Children Aged 3-8 Years (3rd Edition) – cover price $24.95 ($23.50 per copy if purchasing 10-99 copies)
Venue for leading groups
Be sure to plan for ongoing consultation by phone or in person for new group leaders. Consultation is conducted by certified Incredible Years® Mentors and Trainers. This early support and feedback ensures the parenting groups are delivered with fidelity and are successful. Consultation Fee: $230/hour
Group Leaders are encouraged to apply for certification/accreditation, which promotes fidelity to the program by ensuring optimal outcomes. See Certification section for more details and information on pricing.
Once Group Leaders are certified, they are eligible for training as an Incredible Years® Peer Coach to support to new group leaders as well as teachers. Coaching for teachers involves classroom observations and individual teacher and coach meetings. See Incredible Years Peer Coach Certification for more details.
Preschool Basic Program 1, Part 2, Vignette 18 (Clip)
Preschool Basic Program 2, Part 2, Vignette 7-8 (Clip)
Preschool Basic Program 3, Part 1, Vignette 5 (Clip)
Preschool Basic Program 4, Part 3, Vignette 1 (Clip)
Incredible Years® Program Video Streaming Now Available!
The Preschool Basic program is available in online streaming format (available in English only). If you’re purchasing a new curriculum set you have the option to order the full program set with a one-year subscription to the videos streaming online. If you already own the program you have the option to add a one-year subscription to the videos streaming online.
Features of the Online Streaming Format:
- Usable on any device with internet connection. No DVD/USB needed.
- Easy to navigate video channels for each program part and vignette
- Unique, secure login for each Group Leader
Program Video available in USB Format
The Preschool Basic program is available in USB format (available in English & Spanish). If you’re purchasing a new curriculum set you have the option to choose either the DVD or USB format. If you already own the program you have an option, for a limited time, to upgrade your DVD set to the USB format. We just ask that the original DVD set be returned to IY along with an upgrade fee of $200. For upgrades from Spanish + English language combo DVDs to USB, the upgrade fee is $300.
Features of the Flash Drive format:
Program Video available in DVD Format
Language Versions: English, Spanish, French, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, Norwegian, Swedish, Portuguese, Russian, Estonian
See our tips for playing DVDs: Playing DVDs On Your Computer